Download Latest Release
Download Latest Release
* NEW * Quirky Xerus for the Raspberry Pi
October 24, 2016 - Barry Kauler, creator of Puppy and Quirky Linux, released his latest Quirky Xerus version 8.1 for the Raspberry Pi. (Updated to 8.1.2 on 25 November 2016.)
Quirky Xerus 8.1.2 for the Raspberry Pi is:
- built with Puppy Linux kit and Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus binary DEBs;
- a 360-MB Linux distro with LibreOffice, Inkscape, Seamonkey (Mozilla browser with composer), and many other applications;
- a fast GUI using JWM and ROX-Filer for the desktop;
- able to auto-update via Filesystem - Upgrade Manager;
- the first build by Barry Kauler for the ARM platform, specifically the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3;
- easy to install to micro-SD card, just decompress and write the IMG to 8-GB micro-SD card;
- available for download from ibiblio.org and nluug.nl.
Read this to explore the more technical aspects of Quirky Xerus.
Follow the Forum discussion of the Quirky Xerus release.
Read about the Raspberry Pi.
Slacko Puppy 6.3 (Slackware-Compatible)
November 17, 2015 - The developers group led by 01micko has released the latest build of Slacko Puppy, version 6.3. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are available.
Open ibiblio.org folder of Slacko 6.3 and choose your preferred ISO*.
Open nluug.nl folder of Slacko 6.3 and choose your preferred ISO*.
ISO Size: 208 MB (32-bit); 234 MB (64-bit)
* Note: If unsure about the bit rating of your machine, use 32-bit.
The new Slacko Puppy 6.3:
- is built with the Woof-CE (community) build system;
- uses kernel 3.14.55 LTS NO PAE, with alternative kernels accessible via Change Kernel GUI;
- is compatible with Slackware/Salix packages accessible through the Package Manager (note that native Puppy Linux packages are called PETs);
- has new GUI features such as pTheme and JWM-2.3.2 latest window manager;
- can use f2fs filesystem as well as download/install sfs (compressed) software add-ons;
- has the latest applications notably Firefox ESR browser (other browsers are available through the Package Manager);
- runs first-boot wizard that takes care of your desktop settings and connections;
- includes support for many graphics card and wired/wireless connections.
For previous versions of Slacko, see the news page.
December 16, 2015 UPDATE - Note that the new files are numbered 6.0.5.
October 26, 2014 - Tahrpup 6.0 is released by 666philb in the Forum.
Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.
Report bugs in the Forum.
Use EXE installer to install Puppy Linux in Windows PC. This involves downloading an exe installer and then clicking on it (the usual way of installing programs in Windows). Find the version you like through the links below. Note that the current release is Slacko at version 5.7, Lucid Puppy is at version 5.28, and the default PAE ISO in Slacko enables access to installed RAM in machines with more than 4 GB.
- EXE downloads at Mediafire - see the author's discussion;
- EXE downloads at Shinobar's Sourceforge repository - see the author's discussion of Lucid Puppy and Precise Puppy versions.
The installer will add to your boot menu (1) Linux in the first boot dialogue and (2) Grub menu for choosing how to use Puppy Linux in the second boot dialogue. The file menu.lst and a "puppy" folder containing the Puppy Linux files will be added to your hard drive.
Windows boot dialog after installation
Grub menu for options in booting Puppy Linux
(Don't use save file when making its backup or investigating problems.)
Secure Your Online Banking With A Linux Live CD: I’d rather be safe than sorry – I’m into an ounce of prevention.. banking online through a Linux Live CD is my ounce of prevention.
- Bill Mullins
Support this site: