Download Latest Release
Download Latest Release
*NEW* Slacko Puppy (Slackware-Compatible Build)
March 5, 2013 - The developers group led by 01micko has released the latest build of Slacko Puppy, version 5.5:
Open ibiblio.org folder of Slacko 5.5 and choose your preferred ISO*.
Open nluug.nl folder of Slacko 5.5 and choose your preferred ISO*.
ISO Size: 165 MB
* Note: The PAE build is for machines with more than 4 GB of memory chips.
Forum discussion of Slacko 5.5.
The new Slacko Puppy 5.5:
- is made using the latest Woof build system of Puppy Linux;
- has Linux kernel 3.2.33 (and 3.4.17 for PAE support);
- is compatible with the binary packages of Slackware 14, accessible through the Package Manager (note that native Puppy Linux packages are called PETs);
- has the latest Firefox browser (other browsers are available through the Package Manager);
- runs first-boot wizard that takes care of your desktop settings and connections;
- includes support for many wired and wireless connections including wireless modems;
- has new SFS and Updates managers;
- has improved graphics and internationalization support;
- has alternative PAE ISO for machines with high memory chips (more than 4 GB).
"Anyone NOT having used Puppy 5.2.8 Lucid is missing THE Linux to go to for first-time and long-term users." - From the Forum
April 5, 2012 - Update 5 is here, with OpenOffice (lupulibre) version added in the download folder. Lucid Puppy version uses kernel 126.96.36.199 and allows the user to install his/her favorite browser (user installs it from the Internet at first boot).
MD5 Checksum: 8ad170c46b523436776398fa5ce39fa4
ISO Size: 132.6 MB
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 desktop with browser wizard.
New in Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 (released August 17, 2011):
- made faster with i686 optimization;
- new, versatile Roxterm console;
- new Control Panel;
- more firmware, drivers and updates;
- improved hardware detection and configuration;
- more wallpapers and themes.
New in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 (released April 2, 2011):
- Bash 4.1.0, Syslinux 4.03, e2fsprogs 1.41.14, JWM 500, Gnumeric 1.10.13;
- updated PBurn and Gnome-MPlayer 1.02;
- built from Woof of February 26, 2011.
Lucid Puppy 5.2 (released January 5, 2011):
- is still compatible with Ubuntu packages;
- has QuickSet for point-and-click desktop configuration;
- has QuickPet for updates, diagnostics, and package installs;
- has alternative window managers (XFCE, Fluxbox) through the package manager;
- includes language packs for 11 different languages;
- a true Puppy Linux built using Woof, the magical build script of Chief Developer Barry Kauler.
Use EXE installer to install Puppy Linux in Windows PC. This involves downloading an exe installer and then clicking on it (the usual way of installing programs in Windows). Find the version you like through the links below:
- EXE downloads at Mediafire - see the author's discussion (note that the current release is Slacko at version 5.5, Lucid Puppy is at version 528, and PAE is for high-memory machines);
- EXE downloads at Shinobar's mirror - see the author's discussion.
The installer will add (1) Linux to your Windows boot dialogue and (2) Grub menu for choosing how to use Puppy Linux. Also, two directories will be added to your hard drive: a "boot" directory containing the boot scripts, plus a "puppy" folder containing the Puppy Linux files.
Windows boot dialog after installation
Grub menu for options in booting Puppy Linux
(Don't use save file when making its backup or investigating problems.)
Secure Your Online Banking With A Linux Live CD: I’d rather be safe than sorry – I’m into an ounce of prevention.. banking online through a Linux Live CD is my ounce of prevention.
- Bill Mullins
Support this site: