A new version of Precise Puppy with long-term support is released.
August 3, 2013 - A version 5.7.1 update of Precise Puppy is now available. Precise Puppy is a Long Term Supported release, following Ubuntu Precise Pangolin's LTS attribute. The kernel version of the standard release is 3.9.11 (PAE, i686) while an older kernel 3.2.48 (i486, no PAE ) is used with the retro release (the retro has many device drivers, including analog modem drivers).
New (January 19, 2014): Download the updated Japanese edition Precise-571JP derived from Precise-5.7.1-retro.iso from Sourceforge-Japan, Openlab-Japan, Server-on-Net, or Shino's server, size = 134 MB, md5sum = 3072b4c843071634778208779e27bdf4. (Optional - Get the Windows installer from the same folder: size = 134 MB, md5sum = a19b7ad3cec2786777de81ba4b8ccff9. NOTE: This has less analog modem drivers and has Opera as browser. For details of the build, see the release notes.)
Download the RETRO precise-5.7.1-retro.iso here or there, size = 201 MB, md5sum = 8c1d7db20a055fe847ed954fc246e078. NOTE: This has additional drivers, including analog modem drivers, and has Opera as additional browser for PCs with 256 MB or less random-access memory (RAM).
For older versions of Precise Puppy, see the news page.
"Anyone NOT having used Puppy 5.2.8 Lucid is missing THE Linux to go to for first-time and long-term users." - From the Forum
April 5, 2012 - Update 5 is here, with OpenOffice (lupulibre) version added in the download folder. Lucid Puppy version uses kernel 126.96.36.199 and allows the user to install his/her favorite browser (user installs it from the Internet at first boot).
MD5 Checksum: 8ad170c46b523436776398fa5ce39fa4
ISO Size: 132.6 MB
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 desktop with browser wizard.
New in Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 (released August 17, 2011):
- made faster with i686 optimization;
- new, versatile Roxterm console;
- new Control Panel;
- more firmware, drivers and updates;
- improved hardware detection and configuration;
- more wallpapers and themes.
New in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 (released April 2, 2011):
- Bash 4.1.0, Syslinux 4.03, e2fsprogs 1.41.14, JWM 500, Gnumeric 1.10.13;
- updated PBurn and Gnome-MPlayer 1.02;
- built from Woof of February 26, 2011.
Lucid Puppy 5.2 (released January 5, 2011):
- is still compatible with Ubuntu packages;
- has QuickSet for point-and-click desktop configuration;
- has QuickPet for updates, diagnostics, and package installs;
- has alternative window managers (XFCE, Fluxbox) through the package manager;
- includes language packs for 11 different languages;
- a true Puppy Linux built using Woof, the magical build script of Chief Developer Barry Kauler.
Amazing (for my 2.4 GHz Pentium IV) - I was floored by the speed and multi-tasking ability [that Precise Puppy] offered! Amazing is a lesser word for it!
- Puppy Linux 5.4 `Precise` Review
Support this site: