XOpup is a Puppy linux 5.1.1 derivative that supports the One Laptop Per Child hardware.
It supports the XO-1 and the XO-1.5 laptops
XOpup was developed by mavrothal and 01micko
Mitch Bradley (OLPC) was instrumental in booting puppy on the XO
Paul J Fox (OLPC) was critical in debugging and modifying power management and keyboard function in XOpup.
Anna and Eddie Owens helped with the sound at the initial steps of the project, and ttuuxxx had many helpful comments and encouragement during the difficult start.
XOpup-2.2 (XOpup-2.2.RC.tar.gz md5sum: 2b86b5116da444c5ee0ac13ce5c5b9b9) is an Update of XOpup-2.1
The main changes compared to XOpup-2.1 are:
- New Frisbee network manager as default. Is much more user friendly and flexible
- New power management that properly detects external devices (mice etc)
- New initrd/init and rc.sysinit scripts for faster boot (by 10-20 sec, depending on the setup).
- The traditional boot sequence is also available
- New kernels and Aufs-utils, for a more puppy-like experience
- Kernel devel and headers are now provided as pets instead of RPMs
- Proper detection of the XO keyboard via udev
- New XO-1.5 chrome and XO-1 geode 2.11.12 video drivers
- Addition of an alternative /boot/olpc.fth that may improve card detection with some "difficult" SDcards
- New Right-click functionality
- Addition of 7z and xz, compression/decompression utilities
- Addition of yad/zenity infrastucture
- New devices to match F14/OLPC-11.x.x builds
- New reset-touchpad app that may improve erratic behavior of the XO-1 touchpad
- New gecko media player plugin for in-browser movie playback
- New wallpapers, XOpup logo and PuppyPin
- New desktop icon setup app
- Updates of: Gnome media player, sfs_load, wallpaper, snapmerge, Psync, Pmusic, Pschedule, Pfind, pupRadio, you2pup, gtkdialog, bash, transmission, squashfs-tools-4.2, xarchive and repo data lists
- Fix Quickpet to download SFSs when booting from an SDcard
- The 2.6.31 kernel version for the XO-1 is not included anymore in the download, as Frisbee looks more reliable. However, the 2.6.31 kernel for xopup-205, is still available as pet.
- Spanish localization is not included anymore in the download due to the absence of any interest :-\
- However the one from XOpup-2.1 is mostly OK and is available as a tar.gz archive.
- More under the hood fixes. See the change log for the changes from XOpup-2.2.RC (xopup-204)
XOpup-specific pets and tar.gzs can be found at: http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/XOpup/XOpets/
Do see the Build Announcement for features, instructions, issues etc
XOpup-2.1 (XOpup-2.1.tar.gz md5sum: 800b9351753fe792a5e14c5c39e0fe16) is a slimmed down version of XOpup-1.0 (and Opup-2.0) and now supports equally well the XO-1 and the XO-1.5
The main changes compared to XOpup-1.0 are:
- Addition of Openbox/fbpanel window manager that is screen rotation aware
- Screen, touchpad, Dpad and arrow-keys rotation
- New XO-1.5 chrome video driver that supports rotation
- XO camera support through the Guvcview application
- A first attempt of a Spanish localization package (included in the download)
- New olpc-2.6.35-based kernels for both the XO-1 and the XO-1.5 (a new 2.6.31 kernel for the XO-1 is also provided)
- Jamesbond's new snapmergepuppy that dramatically decreases savefile and shutdown times
- Shinobar's new "sfs_load on the fly" for loading and unloading sfs without reboot.
- External monitor/projector, firewall and bluetooth support
- Improvements in the puppyfile detection and the shutdown process
- Better power management
- Updated XO-version-specific Quickpet and PPM repo data
- Updated Flash player
- Trio's you2pup-2.1.2. Very handy, particularly on the XO-1
- New XOpup-specific desktop backgrounds
- "xopup"-based instead of "lupu"-based SFS names
- Many more updates and under-the-hood changes.
- See the change log for the changes from XOpup-2.0.
See the Build Announcement for features, instructions, issues etc
XOpup-1.0 is the first stable release of XOpup XOpup-1.tar.gz
Check out the XOpup-1 Build Announcement for prerequisites, features, info and known issues.